The data collected in the 2020 Census is significantly important to ensure equal representation and equal access to important resources for all Americans. However, certain groups who are considered “hard-to-count” such as immigrants, are at a higher risk of not being fully counted in the census and may experience increased vulnerability.
A range of interest groups, from state officials to immigrant advocates, fear that the negative political climate and deportation operations targeting the undocumented community will result in reduced participation and place the nation’s largest ethnic minority group at risk for unequal access to resources.
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights mounted a campaign to halt the inclusion of a Citizenship question on the 2020 Census, which would lead to an undercount of immigrant and Latino populations in San Joaquin Valley and CA.
- Contact Congress today by writing a letter and tell them why a fair and accurate count is important to you here
- Sign the Petition to reject adding a citizenship question to the 2020 Census here
- Check out hard-to-count (HTC) communities using an interactive map here
- Contact Erin Hustings, Legislative Counsel of the NALEO Educational Fund, at email@example.com, or Sonum Nerurkar, Get Out the Count Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org more information
- Join the campaign for a fair and accurate 2020 Census today!
- Sign up as a volunteer with NALEO Educational Fund here
- Follow on Twitter @CensusCounts
- Visit NALEO Educational Fundto learn more about Census 2020
- Visit The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights to learn more about civil and human rights of all persons in the US
- Watch a video on How the US Census Works here
- Learn more about 2020 Census at The Center of Sierra Health Foundation
- Read 2020 Census Fact Sheet here
- Read the Census and Health Care Fact Sheet here
- Read 2020 Census – State Fact Sheets here
- Read Press Release: Supreme Court Must Uphold Lower Court Ruling to Ensure a Fair and Accurate 2020 Census here
- Read Press Release: Congress Must Keep Unnecessary Citizenship Question Off 2020 Census here