Featuring a Campaign to End Violence Against Women
In Latin America, the Spotlight Initiative is focusing on ending femicide — when a woman or girl is killed because of her gender — in Argentina, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico. The program aims to raise awareness on femicide, contribute to changing social norms and attitudes towards women, develop available and accessible quality essential services for survivors of violence and produce data to inform policymaking and budgeting.
As part of the Spotlight Initiative, #HerStoryOurStory is a digital campaign designed to raise awareness on the prevalence and impact of violence against women and girls, while demonstrating that we all – collectively and individually – have a role to play in ending it.
This digital campaign to end violence against women is a joint project of the European Union (EU) and the United Nations and is featured on the Spotlight Initiative’s website.
On the Spotlight Initiative
- The Spotlight Initiative is a global, multi-year partnership between European Union and United Nations to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls by 2030.
- The Spotlight Initiative are the world’s largest targeted effort to end all forms of violence against women and girls.
- Launched with a seed funding commitment of €500 million from the European Union, the Spotlight Initiative represents an unprecedented global effort to invest in gender equality and women’s empowerment as a precondition and driver for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The Spotlight Initiative is responding to all forms of violence against women and girls, with a particular focus on domestic and family violence, sexual and gender-based violence and harmful practices, femicide, trafficking in human beings and sexual and economic (labour) exploitation.
- The Spotlight Initiative works hand-in-hand with everyone, from world leaders to the grassroots, government, civil society, the private sector and other development partners, men and boys, women and girls.
- Targeting real needs: The Spotlight Initiative will address legislative and policy gaps, strengthen institutions, promote gender-equitable attitudes, and provide quality services for survivors and reparations for victims of violence and their families. Interventions will also strengthen systems for collecting data on violence against women and girls and empower women’s movements.
- As a demonstration fund for action on the SDGs, we are demonstrating that a significant, concerted and comprehensive investment in gender equality and ending violence can make a transformative difference in the lives of women and girls.
- Through the Spotlight Initiative, the EU and the UN are spearheading a global movement to ensure women and girls can live a life free of violence, in all its forms. Raising public awareness and shifting mindsets and cultures remains key.
- The Spotlight Initiative will support concrete measures to end violence. The Spotlight Initiative gives prominence to prevention, protection and the provision of services, alongside broader efforts to ensure women’s economic empowerment and participation in all aspects of society.
- “Peace, justice and sustainable development. None are possible without gender equality and women’s empowerment.”- UN SG António Guterres, 20 September 2017.
- “The Spotlight Initiative is a crucial contribution to achieving the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.”- UN SG António Guterres, 20 September 2017.
- “As the largest-ever single investment in eradicating violence against women and girls worldwide, this initial contribution will address the rights and needs of women and girls across 25 countries and five regions.” – UN SG António Guterres, 19 November 2018.
- ”It is simply unacceptable that one in every three women worldwide suffers violence at some point”. – EU Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development Neven Mimica.
- “The Spotlight Initiative is a movement without precedent in the global fight to end violence against women and girls” – Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development Neven Mimica.
- “Violence against women and girls is one of the greatest injustices of our time, which crosses all borders, generations, nationalities and communities. It deeply touches our hearts and our minds. And it is a serious barrier to any society’s full development potential. To make a real change, I invite all partners to join our Spotlight Initiative for a world in which all women and girls can truly shine!” – Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development Neven Mimica
- Sign the #HerStoryOurStory pledge to show your support to this movement to end violence against women.
- Share information
- Create your own avatar
- Spotlight Initiative Annual Report July 2017 – March 2018
- EN-UN Launch Spotlight Initiative Overview Video
- Spotlight Initiative Terms of Reference 2017-2023
- Virtual Knowledge Centre to End Violence Against Women and Girls
- Images for Traditional or Social Media
Follow on Twitter @GlobalSpotlight