Alliance for Gender Equality and UHC campaign: UN’s Universal Health Coverage Commitment to Gender Equality
On September 23, 2019, the United Nations released a comprehensive political declaration on universal health coverage (UHC), grounded in gender equality principles that is an important guide for governments to enact UHC by 2030. According to Katja Iversen, president/CEO of Women Deliver, “for universal health coverage to be truly universal and transformative it must embrace gender equality in all forms—and that means providing explicit guarantees of sexual and reproductive health and rights.”
The Alliance for Gender Equality and UHC is organized by the International Women’s Health Coalition, Women Deliver, and Women in Global Health, and more than 100 organizations from more than 47 countries, which advocate for a commitment to gender equality and women’s rights in this political declaration.
- Disseminate the UN’s political declaration here.
- Gain knowledge – visit International Women’s Health Coalition for policy recommendations on comprehensive UHC for women and girls.
- Disseminate Women in Global Health ASKs and Key Messages to Member States, global health influencers and international organizations active in global health
- Include Women in Global Health ASKs in wider civil society advocacy platforms
- Use Women in Global Health ASKs and Key Messages to support events, publish blogs and articles and engage in social media to raise awareness in your national context.
- Tweet: #GenderEquality and women’s rights are central to the design and deliver of #UHC. #Healthforall #GenderUHC
- Tag: @IntlWomen @WomenDeliver @womeninGH @HealthEquidad